- Accountability -- Oxfam Canada recognizes that we are responsible for all personal information under our control.
- Identifying Purposes – Oxfam Canada, and those designated or contracted to act for or on our behalf, will identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
- Consent – Oxfam Canada and those designated or contracted to act for or on our behalf will ensure that the knowledge and consent of the individual are obtained for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
- Limiting Collection – Oxfam Canada will ensure that the collection of personal information will be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the organization. Information will be collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention – Oxfam Canada will ensure that personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- Accuracy – Oxfam Canada will ensure that personal information under our care be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards – Oxfam Canada will ensure that personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of information.
- Openness – Oxfam Canada will make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- Individual Access – Oxfam Canada agrees to ensure that upon request an individual will be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of their personal information and will be given access to that information. An individual will be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Provide Recourse – Oxfam Canada agrees to ensure that an individual will be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated individual or individuals accountable for the organization's compliance.
Further information on privacy and your rights in regard to your personal information may be found on the website of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at www.privcom.gc.ca